Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Friends, Acquaintances, and Other Folk.

I've had an especially fierce burden on my shoulders for my friends recently. Most of them are involved in a wide array of circumstances, and I've actually been able to slow down enough to watch their turmoil unfold before me in a slow-motion fashion. I remember having significant moments like that in high school, and I'm sure it means the same as it does now:

God is intentionally pointing something out to me. To learn from and to pray for. In these moments, God tends to teach me about the ways of people. Certain people, at times, but usually its a general lesson about humanity. I'm broken by the sabotage we allow to go on in our relationships with others. It's natural to have dysfunction...because we're humans. But it's almost as if we have this itch for utter destruction to happen ever so often. People have become indispensable, and we don't value others enough to look past our own needs.

You see it everyday, divorces happen. Childhood friends fall out of sync. Family members hold life-long grudges that affect generations. And we'll choose, instead, to hold onto this immaterial pain that makes our hearts more feeble and colder. Or worse, we'll fill our lives with numerous shallow, unproductive acquaintances...and think that it will fill the place that God reserved for those that will add to our existence. Vulnerably speaking, I wish not to surround myself with drones of people who aren't looking out for my benefit. Those who won't help me stay true to my standards, convictions, ...myself.

Life is too short to try and go at this thing all alone. And I'd rather have two or three in my corner than a crowd of people spectating in the stands.

Figure out who your real friends are. And treat them that way.

2 comments:

  1. You see it everyday, divorces happen. Childhood friends fall out of sync. Family members hold life-long grudges that affect generations. And we'll choose, instead, to hold to this immaterial pain that makes our hearts more feeble and colder.

    wow....

    yep. this is speaking to me. i am @ this point in my life and have been @ this point since i returned home, three months ago. but you know what thing is: when you try to walk away from unhealthy or insignificant friendships/relationships/relatives ... people refuse to let go, even when they see you are sick and tired of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Don....sorry for the late reply.

    I've noticed my own tendency to cling to dysfunction. It's like I'd rather have pain than nothing at all.


    If those holding on are willing to change what's robbing the relationship, then great. But, intentionally placing space between them and you is completely necessary if it's killing you.

    ReplyDelete